Archive for 240sx

So long, farewell

Posted in Cars with tags , , on March 17, 2013 by sosideways

image

It is time to move on to bigger and better things. These coilovers have served me well for the past few years, but I have it grown them.

Oh my…

Posted in Cars with tags , , , , , , on October 8, 2012 by sosideways

This car actually makes me want to work on my car a little more to get it looking good and performing good again.

Preview of a long post

Posted in Cars with tags , on May 19, 2012 by sosideways

image

Can you guess what that is?

1 wheel 1 cup

Posted in Cars, Photography with tags , , , , , , , , , , on March 16, 2012 by sosideways

Thanks to Mr. Cory Elder for taking these pics at the car meet on Wednesday.  Check out the Faplife guys at their Facebook.

Still lame

Posted in Cars with tags , , , , , on March 8, 2012 by sosideways

image

This is how the car look as of last night.

image

Still messing around with the alignment and wastegate actuator.

Do (math) work!

Posted in Cars with tags , , on March 2, 2012 by sosideways

image

So I kinda screwed myself today when going for another round of garage floor alignment.

At first I got my unit of measurements wrong, which is why you see the scratched out parts under the “cm”. I realized I got it wrong when I was like “1.4mm is a really small difference, and this is more significant than that,” thus the cm instead of the mm.

A 1.4cm difference between the front edge of the rims and the rear is significant; that’s like half an inch.

So what did my dumbass do?

Adjusted 7mm toe in on both sides.

Now my shit is WAY toed in.

Gotta start with another measurement tomorrow, then go from there, but it will be close to 3.5mm of toe out that I gotta dial in for the toe to be near zero.

Did work

Posted in Cars with tags , , , , , , on February 12, 2012 by sosideways

Sat in the wheel well area and contemplated on how to seal up the gap between the panel I made to cover up the grommet hole on the driver side firewall and the hole itself for like an hour, then I realized that I had better just cut some holes on the panel and then do a mock up of the panel being mounted first to get an idea of where the holes are.

That worked out much better cause I could see where the sealant line needed to be in my head better and I went to work.

First I marked on the panel where I wanted to drill the holes for the plastic screw in rivets with it placed in the position where I wanted it to be, then I took the 3/16 cobalt drill bit and drilled through the now cured J-B Stik, then make another mark on the firewall via a sharpie pen so I can take the panel off to work on the firewall separately.

The cobalt bit that I bought has a pilot hole feature to make sure the bit doesn’t start walking on you, and it helped tremendously on keeping the holes lined up on both the panel and the firewall. After the initial holes were drilled, I had to take my step drill and open up the holes to 5/16 for those screw in rivets. YMMV.

After that, it was time to goop on the blue rtv sealant.

I put the sealant on the firewall, that way I can get the bead of sealant exactly where I wanted it, instead of “I think I got it.” I did put some rtv on the back side of the panel though, where the panel ends and the gap between the old rubber grommet started.

Once the panel was put up there, I installed the screw in rivets to secure the panel and then went to work on sealing up the gaps between the harness/grommet and the firewall, as well as the other gaps between the panel and the harness/grommet. Not much to inform here, other than to tell you guys to make sure you get some sealant on every gap, and to use a good light source to light your working area so you can see the gaps better.

Here is the finished product. It was getting cooler out yesterday when I did this, and today is quite cool out, so it’s going to take more than 24 hours for the rtv to fully cure.

%d bloggers like this: